Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cabinet Capers: Prep Stage

Let's back-track a couple months!

While Brett The Handy-Man broke his tail on the walls, sink and countertops, I went quite easy on myself (for now) and focused on the cabinetry.

Rather than drop a cool $7 grand on custom cabinets (meeeps!), I decided to give my builder cabinets a refresh and save on my renovation costs.  I turned to my DIY gurus over at Young House Love for a little bit of advice, but wound up “borrowing” their entire shopping list and process.  Hey, if it works, why reinvent the wheel?  I am so not original!

Since Sherry and John Petersik were just winding their kitchen reno down as I was embarking on mine, I thought: how serendipitous!  I don’t know what I would do without this lovely duo and their DIY advice. They make me want to move to Richmond, VA just so I can be BFFs with them.  That didn't come off as creepers did it? Sorry. Back to the whole point of this post because I have clearly strayed:

First, I had to take all of the drawers out and the doors off, and strip everything of its hardware.

Blog 027Blog 016 (2) Blog 017  

<<Sidebar: I did my best to keep the hardware that I would be reusing together. I numbered the six lower cabinets and labeled cups to keep the shtufff in.  It was a valiant effort that fell by the wayside in the end.>>

I started prepping the decorative panels by using sprayable Next Degreaser from Home Depot. It was really easy to use, low VOC (but still pretty potent) and non-flammable, because you know I left it on the gas stove top, like, a lot.

Blog 009


Shake it, spray it, let in soak a little and scrub it girl! The directions said to scrub with a rag, but based on the sheer amount of poop-ature I have found, I figured I should use heavy-duty scouring pads.  Then the rag for clean-up/wipe-down.

Blog 027


The plank on the top has been degreased and the one on the bottom has not.  See how much light the bottom one reflects? That’s because it’s slimy and gross and the top one is squeeeky clean!

Blog 041


Next came the really fun part: filling up the old hardware holes! I have a brand new obsession over wood filler.  It’s a seriously good time!

Wood Fill 1


Again, based on what the Petersik’s suggested, I used Elmer’s Pro Wood Filler found at Home Depot.  Slap it on there…

Wood Fill 2
 
…smoosh it in…

Wood Fill 3


…scrape it off…

Wood Fill 4


…let dry and repeat!  Each plank needed about two layers of gook to make it flush with the board.

Wood Fill 5

Here’s everybody all solidified and ready for some sanding action:

Wood Fill 6

I love my little Mouse by Black&Decker! She really gets the job done, even down to those tough corners.

Blog 003


Listen to me; I sound like I used to do blow with the ShamWow! guy. 

Next came another wipe-down with a damp cloth and a couple coats of primer. I used Benjamin Moore’s Stix primer, which covered really well but is really high in VOCs (or at least it felt like it, high being the operative word.) Lord knows I really don’t like feeling that way, so I would not recommend using it in a poorly ventilated room.

Blog 005 (2)


YHL recommended Zinsser Smart Prime, and after this experience I totally went out and bought some of that instead. It's hard to find in Tuscaloosa, but not impossible! Stix certainly got the job done but not without some provisions:

Blog 037


An entire family-size bag of mini powdered doughnuts would have also been appropriate, but I am trying to maintain my girlish figure, thank you.

More cabinetry to come, friends! Remain on the edge of you seats!

~Easty-Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment