Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Greatest Gift

Nope, I’m not talking birthday presents in the literal sense. The greatest gift is something that reaches far beyond the material; the greatest gift is getting to be here, to live and love.

I am a sober person today thanks to the support of my amazing family, my friends who believed I could get clean, and through the love of the God of my understanding.  There was a time all too recently, that I did not appreciate the precious gift I have been given.  All of the misery and selfishness was necessary to reach a point of desperation; a desperation to change no matter what. 

I am grateful to be alive, to have people in my life who are loving and supportive, to have a bond with a Power greater than myself who wants the best for me, and to have the ability to grow.

Though I can see the changes materially right now, spiritually,  I think I am getting better.  And that is the goal after all; to be better.

So on this day, the day I was born, I want to thank my parents for letting that happen and always being there through the thickness and the thin.  Thank you, little brother, for being an inspiration. Your voice has always brought me joy.  Thank you, friends, for being awesome and understanding people.  You are the mirrors that help me see more clearly.  Thank you, God, for letting me stay here to learn more and be a better person.

Now, I bet you thought this was going to be a post about dining room chairs and a new kitchen, didntcha?  :)  

Love, Easty

2 comments:

  1. I am grateful you are alive. You are an incredible person. So proud to be your friend all these years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The momma loves you more than life itself. Reminiscing about the day you were born this morning made me so happy. Let the birthday weekend continue!

    ReplyDelete